The weißensee academy of art berlin was founded in 1946, during a difficult and turbulent phase of Germany’s rebuilding, by artists with affiliations to the Bauhaus.
After German reunification, parts of the Campus were modernized and several new buildings were added. Two buildings for the departments of painting and sculpture opened their doors in 2011. The auditorium Selmanagic built in 1956 was restored thanks to funding from the Wüstenrot Foundation monuments program; it reopened in 2012. Currently 850 students benefit from the excellent educational facilities in Berlin Weissensee.