National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) was established during Japanese occupation in January 1931 as “Tainan Technical College” with only one campus, Cheng Kung campus, covering an area of 18.3 hectares.
After the end of the Japanese occupation, the central government of the Republic of China took over the college in October 1945, and changed its name to “Taiwan Provincial Tainan Junior College of Enginnering”.
In August 1959, it was restructured and renamed as “Provincial Cheng Kung University”. In 1971, it was finally upgraded to the status of national university and was named in full as “National Cheng Kung University”, with four colleges invluding College of Engineering, College of Science, College of Liberal Arts and College of Management at the time.
NCKU founded its own College of Medicine in 1983, and continued to establish new colleges, including ollege of Social Sciences in 1997, College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and College of Planning and Design in 2003, as well as College of Bioscience and Beiotechnology in 2005.